A history of hospitality

From the ancient "hospicium" to the more recent post for horses, a history of hospitality unfolds which today has its culmination in the high-level hospitality offered by Villa Quaranta Tommasi Wine Hotel & SPA.

At the roots of hospitality

The oldest part of the present complex, the church of Santa Maria dell'Ospedale, dates back to 1218 and was probably associated with a hospice, a "hospicium" mentioned as early as 1141. The seventeenth-century Villa is attested for the first time in 1653 and it was followed by other buildings built around the church.Originally belonging to the family of the noble Quaranta, the Villa changed owners repeatedly between the 18th and 20th centuries, passing between different noble families. It rises along the Brennero state road, opposite an old post for horses (perhaps from the 18th century) called 'La Dogana'.

At the roots of hospitality

The oldest part of the present complex, the church of Santa Maria dell'Ospedale, dates back to 1218 and was probably associated with a hospice, a "hospicium" mentioned as early as 1141. The seventeenth-century Villa is attested for the first time in 1653 and it was followed by other buildings built around the church.Originally belonging to the family of the noble Quaranta, the Villa changed owners repeatedly between the 18th and 20th centuries, passing between different noble families. It rises along the Brennero state road, opposite an old post for horses (perhaps from the 18th century) called 'La Dogana'.

The villa

Built towards the middle of the 17th century, the villa is immersed in the fascinating atmosphere of the park and in the vegetal architecture of the Italian garden.The villa is spread over two floors and shows the first signs of baroque trends, while presenting an overall architecture based on essential lines and a rigid central symmetry. The windows and doors are embellished with shaped frames, surmounted by trapezoidal decorative elements. The most interesting architectural element is the central loggia with three arches located on the main floor.

Inside the villa, there is an antechamber and a living room with a barrel ceiling - known as the Salone degli Zar - both of which have wall decorations in the back of benches. A marble staircase, with putti in plaster, leads to the upper floor where the Loggia dell'Angelo is located, which offers a beautiful view of the park, and the Salone delle Arti, frescoed with country motifs.The other rooms are dedicated to characters linked in various ways to the history of Villa Quaranta.Finally, outside, near the entrance to the Villa, a plaque commemorates Tsar Alexander I of Russia.

The church

The church of Santa Maria dell'Ospedale di Mezzacampagna, near which there was the building that gave its name to the town of Ospedaletto, is centuries old and is still open to the public today. Weddings, private functions and artistic events are also held there. Adjacent to it, in the heart of the town, the main villa and the other adjoining buildings that are now part of Villa Quaranta have arisen over time.

It is definitely of Romanesque origin and currently constitutes a single body with the main villa, built towards the middle of the 17th century. In ancient times there was a hospital - a "hospicium" mentioned as early as 1141 - which then gave its name to the town of Ospedaletto. During the Venetian age, this had become a symbolic place where the handover between the outgoing vicar of Valpolicella and the incoming vicar took place publicly.

The church

The church of Santa Maria dell'Ospedale di Mezzacampagna, near which there was the building that gave its name to the town of Ospedaletto, is centuries old and is still open to the public today. Weddings, private functions and artistic events are also held there. Adjacent to it, in the heart of the town, the main villa and the other adjoining buildings that are now part of Villa Quaranta have arisen over time.

It is definitely of Romanesque origin and currently constitutes a single body with the main villa, built towards the middle of the 17th century. In ancient times there was a hospital - a "hospicium" mentioned as early as 1141 - which then gave its name to the town of Ospedaletto. During the Venetian age, this had become a symbolic place where the handover between the outgoing vicar of Valpolicella and the incoming vicar took place publicly.

The frescoes

Thanks to the restoration commissioned after the war by Dr. Carlo Vecchi to the painter Enos Passerini, the church now displays a 16th century altarpiece by the painter Paolo Moro. The restoration also involved the sacristy: here Passerini obtained some pretty decorations on the ceiling sails, completing the parts of some frescoes found during the restoration operations.The small church houses several wall frescoes by Ligozzi, while in the floor below the altar there are three tombs - one of a child - which tradition attributes to the Butturini counts of Venice, owners during the early nineteenth century. Ligozzi, the son of painters and author of the murals, was a man of imagination who loved representations of arms and Middle Eastern costumes, while adhering faithfully to the canons of the Council of Trent.

The Crucifixion is a scene of great effect, but the original representation of the Court of Pilate is particularly interesting, performed in a manner that gives it the appearance of a gigantic "cartoon". The characters of the Sanhedrin, mostly seated, some wearing oriental clothing, are flanked by written reproductions of their opinions and verdicts. The use of these cartouches, each associated with a character, creates the effect of a large comic three centuries in advance on the famous reading system that is very popular today.

The park

A large four-hectare park embraces Villa Quaranta. An ancient park, unchanged over time and perfumed by various aromatic essences, in which imposing centuries-old trees stand out.The visitor is then welcomed by the clerodendrum, the ginkgo biloba, the calistemo ... and the suggestive davidia involucrata, known as the 'handkerchief tree' due to its large flowers reminiscent of candid white handkerchiefs. At the time of withering, when the large white petals fall to the ground, the david gives a truly suggestive spectacle.

The park

A large four-hectare park embraces Villa Quaranta. An ancient park, unchanged over time and perfumed by various aromatic essences, in which imposing centuries-old trees stand out.The visitor is then welcomed by the clerodendrum, the ginkgo biloba, the calistemo ... and the suggestive davidia involucrata, known as the 'handkerchief tree' due to its large flowers reminiscent of candid white handkerchiefs. At the time of withering, when the large white petals fall to the ground, the david gives a truly suggestive spectacle.

An ideal scenario

The large park of Villa Quaranta is embellished with an artificial lake where wonderful swans live, an Italian garden in front of the Villa and some classical statues.The long persimmon avenue that houses the statues of the four seasons is a prestigious setting for photo shoots, but the park is also a perfect place for group activities or simply to stroll and relax in nature.